Search This Blog

Wednesday, 12 May 2010

I'm Nervous for the First Time

Today, I think it has finally sunk in that my book is being 'considered' for publication. Up until now, I have just gone with the flow and let everything happen naturally. I only started writing in November last year when I put my three little chapters on a writing site and since then, everything has happened swiftly. Too swiftly you may think.

When I was asked for my three chapters and synopsis to be sent to an agent in January, I did it without realising how serious this could be for me. Very soon after I was asked for the whole MS. I asked for two weeks to 'tidy it up' and finish editing. In reality I had to finish writing it. Very soon again, the agents telephoned me and said they would like to sign me with them.

My book proposal was prepared by them and sent to me to check it all though. I had to do my biography and state what I would be prepared to do to help promote myself, my book and to help market it. This all duly done it was sent off to Hay House publishers. Four weeks later on 28th April, my agents sent me an e-mail saying they had been informed my book was being 'considered'.

It is now two weeks later and I think the reality of all of that and the speed with which it has all happened has finally sunk in. I have never had a rejection and haven't needed to send out lots of query letters. I actually turned down two previous requests by agents. The fact is, I hadn't even really considered myself a writer when I put those first chapters for all to see and read. It was something to do to occupy me whilst convalescing after my operation.

I am now nervous for the first time. The next stage I hear about could well be that first rejection. Even more nerve racking, they may say yes to my book.

This is now for real and I have suddenly realised how serious a business this literary world is. Having read other people talk of their rejections, struggles and burning want to be published, I feel guilty that all of this has happened for me the way it has. Not that I'm complaining at all. I am very lucky and today I realise that for the first time as I say.

Am I about to come crashing down with a huge bang when they reject my book or not? I am watching for e-mails. Will it be soon or will I have to wait for months? If it is months, then I will accept they have passed me over and await the rejection 'phone call or letter. I am sitting and letting the reality sink in and now I just want to hear either way.

Before today, I don't think I really thought it was all happening to me and so it was just a blur that was speeding by me so fast I couldn't see it properly. It was so unreal a situation that it was almost as though it were happening to someone else and I was a bystander watching. Good things like this just don't happen to me. Well that blur has stopped and let me see it for what it is for the first time.

I would love to know how long this 'consideration' process usually lasts. It's the not knowing that's the worst. Should I wait a month, six weeks, two months? What is average? I have no idea. Maybe, just maybe, something this good could happen to me after all. Maybe my luck in life is changing. I will let you know the minute I hear anything whatever the outcome. In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed for me and anything else you can think of.

Lorraine


3 comments:

  1. Well it's all looking positive - maybe I have the sixth sense cos I told you yesterday that this would get published. Just be patient (not easy) but you will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine,

    I've already got my first rejection letter. It didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would. It made me more determined, actually. That's when I signed onto Authonomy and met you!

    So when this publisher accepts your book, your agent treats you to champagne and you are *still* wondering what a rejection letter is... I'll email you a copy of mine.

    xoxo
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed, Lorraine. From what I've seen so far, you're a very proactive person. I'm sure good things will happen, probably in the way you least expect.

    ReplyDelete