Search This Blog

Saturday, 26 June 2010

11 Types of Bad Writing Advice

Trash Paper
All advice is suspect. I'm not suggesting you break all the so-called rules of creativity you've collected. Only that every tip can be counteracted with its opposite. And some advice is just plain bad for you. If interviewing 76 successful novelists and poets taught me one thing, it's this: advice that one person swears by, another will find ludicrous. Here, then, are 11 types of advice to avoid:

Susan K. Perry, Ph.D.

More here (courtesy Psychology Today)

1 comment:

  1. As a painter, teacher and learner, I have over the past fifteen years become quite acquainted with the work of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, who wrote the foreword to "Writing in Flow". That I never have heard of this book may have to do with the fact that I was not particularly interested in writing.

    Without having read more of "Writing in Flow" than what is up on the website (the link in the post beginning with "interviewing") I would strongly recommend Susan K. Perry's book. It certainly is on my wishlist - and I hope I don't need to wait for Chistmas.

    Thank you for this post, Lori!

    Katharina Dend

    ReplyDelete