Search This Blog

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Linda Schlossberg: Isn't it Unromantic?


Clean litter box. Pick up dry cleaning. Write something new. That's Linda Schlossberg's writing advice this week on Meg Waite Clayton's 1st Books: Stories of How Writers Get Started.

Publisher's Weekly compares Linda Schlossberg's Life in Miniature to Mona Simpson's Anywhere but Here, and my dear friend and looovely writer Terry Gamble calls it "poignant and riveting." I've got it on my TBR pile, and only wish I were in the bay area this month. I'm missing two great opportunities to meet Linda in person: at Book Passage on the 18th, and on West Coast Live on the 22nd. I love her post below, though, about putting writing on the "to do" list and getting it done. Great writing advice! - Meg

At my first book reading for Life in Miniature a former student of mine asked a question I did not expect: “How did you manage to finish the novel, and how did you know when you were done?”

What a smart question, I thought to myself. Everyone else is asking what “sparked the idea” for the novel, or how I “found inspiration,” but no one seems interested in the long, tedious process of revising and editing, and the moment at which you stop and say, “That’s enough.”

Read more (courtesy She Writes)

No comments:

Post a Comment