Search This Blog

Thursday, 17 February 2011

Suzannah Burke - Agents Chapter 1 Pet Peeves - E-Book Royalty Mess

WELCOME TO LORRAINE'S PAGE
February 2011

Lorraine Holloway-White

Brief  Bio.
Lorraine is the founder of Authors on Show, a natural born medium, healer, author of spiritual books, blogger and public speaker.  She has two books completed and with  her agents, two others self-published, and she also has four more books on the go.
To see more about Lorraine or where to buy her books CLICK HERE
**********

Agents Reveal Their Chapter 1 Pet Peeves

This is something maybe we should all take a look at. Courtesy Write 4 Kids. The article isn't aimed just at children's books though.
**********

You can see my choice of author for promoting below, plus a warning about e-book publishing, but first a post taken from one of my blogs that you might well find you can relate to:

My Book is not a Hobby
Since becoming a writer I have discovered something rather strange. It is something that is happening to me a lot and to other writers I know. We are all expected to give any books we've written away to anyone who knows us. It doesn't matter whether they are the friend of a friend or bosom pals, they all expect to be given a free copy whether they are interested in the subject matter or not. Most won't pay for the books because they feel it is their given right to be given a signed copy just because of the fact they know us.
I have written four complete books in a year and have four more on the go. This is not something that is done without a lot of hard work, time and effort. I don't go to their place of work and expect their services for free and yet they expect my work to be. Why is that I wonder? Why is it that practically all the authors I know have a similar problem?
The other really peculiar thing is how many of them ask if any of my books have sold yet! They are stunned when I say yes and want to know exactly how many, by whom and where. They are equally as stunned when I tell them people from all over the world are buying them and what's more enjoying them. I have been asked how much money I've made from them so far and what I expect to make from them. I am stunned by it all. Not only is it so rude, but they are intimating that they think nothing I write can be taken seriously and all of them call it my hobby whilst sniggering as though I am to be humoured.
There have been a couple of people locally who have been interested and bought the books, but I have to say that the majority have been rather insulting about it all. I have even been asked who ghost wrote them as I obviously wasn't able to have written them myself! Can you imagine me going into their places of work and demanding to see their accounts and cross questioning them on how much they're making and then sniggering at it all and calling it their hobby? I never hear of this happening to other people apart from writers and musicians. Musicians too are expected to give everything away free to those they meet. All I can say is, thank goodness there are more people in the world than the ones we know in our own towns. The best bit when I am questioned now? I can truthfully say one of my books just came first in Twitter's Shorty Awards.
**********
My Author Choice for Promotion


Suzannah Burke

We are now choosing who we would like to promote and see published or gain representation. The person I have chosen this time is published by Night Publishing, but I would love to see her and her work be taken up by a top literary agent and large traditional publishing house as she so deserves. Not only is she an exceptionally gifted writer, but she is one of the bravest, strongest and kindest people I have had the pleasure of getting to know.
Able to write in a variety of styles (samples of which you can see below), she works so hard at promoting not just herself, but mainly other authors. Nothing is ever too much trouble for her and you should visit her blogs if you haven't come across them before. So who is this paragon of virtue?
My chosen author is Suzannah Burke aka Stacey Danson author of, Empty Chairs amongst others.
http://sooozsaysstuff.blogspot.com
http://staceydansonemptychairs.blogspot.com
http://dudesdownunder-soooz.blogspot.com/
To Buy her books, see below

Samples of the author's work
TWISTED
The FBI have their hands full. 15 dead men, and one psycopath who is hell on heels.

But, did she commit the crimes?
Eight long years and fifteen dead men, unconnected in any way, except for the fact that they all met the wrong woman.
The FBI have a serial killer on their hands, or do they? Is the woman in the cell capable of murdering 15 men?
She is freed on a technicality, however she is being tailed, every moment. So how is it that the murders continue? Who has tampered with the FBI files?
Are they murders or brilliantly planned assassinations? Someone is being protected, someone high up in the food chain?
But who?
And...why?
**********
DUDES DOWN UNDER
More than a book. Dudes is an experience...Come on Down.
To read about this book and details of where you can get it, visit the site and learn about Cyril!
**********
EMPTY CHAIRS
by Stacey Danson
This is a must read for the bold and brave. Read it if you dare as it tells the truth about child abuse in a shocking and realistic way that none other has ever managed. This is not the story of a victim - it is the story of a survivor and victor.
to visit the EMPTY CHAIRS blog CLICK HERE
CLICK TO BUY THIS BOOK - on Amazon Kindle
CLICK TO BUY THIS BOOK -  in paperback
**********

The E-Book Royalty Mess: An Interim Fix

... Negotiating a publishing contract is frequently contentious, but authors have long been able to take comfort in this: once the contract is signed, the interests of the author and the publisher are largely aligned. If the publisher works to maximize its revenues, it will necessarily work to maximize the author's royalties. This is the heart of the traditional bargain, whereby the author licenses the publisher long-term, exclusive book rights in the world's largest book market in exchange for an advance and the promise of diligently working to the joint benefit of author and publisher... read more - courtesy of The Author's Guild
After reading this, maybe you should go to our page 'Contract?'





No comments:

Post a Comment