Search This Blog

Saturday, 23 April 2011

REVIEWS!!

Yes, I'm shouting. I am about to be very controversial, but as A Sceptical Medium I am used to being controversial. You see, I speak the truth. Not everyone likes what I have to say, but I am not desperate for friends, I am not desperate to have everyone fawn all over me and rub my back with fake friendships just for what they can get out of me. No, I do what others would like to, I say what a lot of them are thinking - hence my last post about AOS.

This time, it is about reviews. Over the last year of doing Authors on Show and AOS, I have come to learn a lot about how things work and, more to the point, how some authors work. There is a lot of fake back rubbing amongst a lot of authors and they can be very cliquey. That said, there are also a lot of very genuine, helpful and lovely authors out there who I have been thrilled to meet and  who can't do enough for others. Whatever they give out though, isn't always returned and this saddens me. It saddens me a lot.

I used to do so many reviews for people you wouldn't believe - well you would, because some of you do them as well. I say used to, because I have now become far more selective. You see, I, like many others not in the clique, have learned we are not given reviews as we are givers and the majority are takers. Some don't do it because they haven't read the books concerned which is the honest way to be, but we are very aware how many 'fake' reviews are out there on some books just because their so-called friends have run to do it in return for you doing one for them in return. It doesn't matter if you've read the book or not, just make something up based on the blurb - but make sure it's a good one.

It is because of this mentality, that we some books with rave reviews which are, quite frankly, sometimes not very good books at all. We then see other books that are very well written with little or no reviews just because they aren't in the back-rubbing brigade. I am not alone in thinking this. I have had many e-mails, private messages and all sorts discussing this very problem from people saying how fed up they are that they did a review on someone's book only to be completely ignored

No comments:

Post a Comment