Search This Blog

Friday, 8 April 2011

Why I Pulled the Plug on @Authonomy


Authonomy

So as quickly as I put the first 10 chapters of my book up on Harper Collin’s Authonomy website, I’ve yanked it down again.
As a writer I’m in the all-to-familiar limbo of ‘undiscovered’ and I’m looking for avenues to generate interest about my work. The market is literally awash with thousands of unpublished writers looking for the same thing – access to publishers – and publishing houses couldn’t hope to do justice to all their submissions. Only now do I begin to understand the scale of the problem of getting your work out there and why many publishers will only take manuscripts from publicists and talent scouts who do the heavy lifting for them.



Read more (courtesy Stuart Forsyth)

3 comments:

  1. This is a rather sad view of something. Yes, there are those who are selfish and out just for themselves, but there are also a lot of authors who support each other and give honest critique and help. Those who think they can go it alone are missing out on a lot of support form some very genuine people. Like all things in life, we have to take the rough with the smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorraine, I don't deny there are communities that offer a lot of support to writers. My post was around the transparency of the offering and an initial, overwhelming glut of spam.

    I have limited time to invest in services like this and my experience wasn't good and, from the posts out there, neither were a vast number of other people's. I'd welcome you to come and post some of the positive experiences you've had on my article. Remember this is my subjective view and I'd be happy to hear yours.

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete