Search This Blog

Monday, 23 May 2011

Liz Borino

Liz Borino

Yes, as usual, I'm late - but in this case it is well worth the wait ;)  I'm very happy to say that the lovely Liz Borino,  author of Expectations and its sequel, What Money Can't Buywhich debuts May 18th, has agreed to stop by and answer a few questions about herself, her work and life in general

Both of Liz's books are published by Lazy Day Publishing.  Throughout her education, including a Bachelor’s Degree from Hofstra University, she’s kept her stories to herself, but this only child is all grown up and wants to share them with the world. Her roots are in Bethlehem, Pa, but she loves to experience new cultures. As fun as that is, Liz likes nothing better than curling up at home with a good book or her work in progress.
Expectations, her debut novel, depicts the struggle between what we desire for ourselves and our familial obligations. The struggle is personified by Chris and Matt Taylor, identical twins, who are trying to win their overbearing father’s approval and acquire their trust funds. Love, money, and desire collide as Matt and Chris decide what’s really important to them. Amazon: http://amzn.to/gBh9M3 B&N: http://bit.ly/e7mwDj
What Money Can’t Buy, the sequel to Expectations, finds the two couples, Chris and Aiden and Matt and Carley, eagerly anticipating parenthood. However, their personal struggles continue. Though Matt overcame his dependency on alcohol, new temptations present themselves. And with Carley on bed rest, these temptations put a greater strain on their relationship. Chris continues to deal with issues regarding his father. These issues increase with greater proximity. When tragedy strikes, the best and worst in everyone is revealed. Can they stick together, or will their reactions tear them apart? Barnes & Noble
Thanks for stopping by and agreeing to answer some questions, Liz!
What Money Can’t Buy is your second novel – was the process of writing and publishing different the second time around? Was it what you anticipated?
When writing What Money Can’t Buy I took the lessons I learned from writing Expectations and ‘tried’ to apply them to the first draft. If I do that, it’ll be perfect and they’ll be no need for revisions. Right? Yeah…no. Not even close. Nice thought, though. I knew better what my publisher wanted (more sex), but I had POV issues. Getting the contract was easier, I’ll give you that. Typed the first words knowing it’d get published.
What sparks an idea for a story? Do you use anything for inspiration (words, music, images)?
My imagination needs no sparking, thank you. Read my books? Bet you’re scared now. No, sometimes a good conversation will make me go one way or another with a story. Usually, my best ideas come when I’m in bed or in the shower. Take that as you will.
If you weren't a writer, what would you do for a living?
I guess I edit and do public relations on the side (to pay bills). My first love will always be my stories.
What do you like most about writing? What do you like least?
I love having the opportunity to share my words and message to a wider audience. What do I like least? The audience isn’t wider yet and I still have to edit.
What is/are your favorite TV show(s)? Books?
House MD and Modern Family for TV shows. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham, F*ck ItJohn C. Perkins, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series
If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
I can’t pick one. My dream life has me going from London to New York to LA; NYC and London for the artist cultures and LA for the warmth.
What is your favorite cuisine?
I like simple foods: roast beef and mashed potatoes, grilled chicken and fruit, citrus chicken and bowties. I’m bad with spicy foods.
Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full?
3/4 full (Super optimist). That thing no one else will try, but everyone wants? I go for it. It’s not because I have no sense of fear, ask my friends who have to listen to me debating. The real reason is, in writing as well as life nothing (good or bad) has ever come to me by hoping with no action. Luck is always a factor and you can always get a no, but sometimes, maybe even most of the time, you get a yes. What do you get if you don’t dare? Think on that.
Are you a morning person or a night person?
Morning is my favorite time of day.
Any new and exciting news that you'd like to share?
What Money Can’t Buy comes out on May 18th!
What did you want to be when you were little?
An author, Broadway actress, and an astronaut. Yeah.
Are you a cat or dog person?
Dogs!
Any pet peeves?
I don’t entertain close minded views well, especially when people are trying to force them on me. Sorry.
Now that you know a bit more about Liz be sure to pick up her books! You can find her on the web at lizborino.com or follow her on twitter @LizBorino.
BIG NEWS Liz has graciously decided to give away a copy of Expectations to one of the lovely readers here on AOS - so leave a comment for your chance to see where it all began!

No comments:

Post a Comment