Search This Blog

Sunday, 19 June 2011

10 Questions With ...Daniel Mulholland

There are many talented - yet unpublished - writers on WWE-Club.com, and I had the pleasure of interviewing Daniel Mulholland (aka BigD), who is one of them. Only twenty-one, Daniel has already shown potential and talent it takes to be a quality writer.

BIOGRAPHY
Daniel Mulholland was born on January 5, 1990 to parents Kevin and Joel in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. With younger brothers Colin and Ben, Daniel has lived in Iowa all of his life. It was in high school that Daniel had his first work published, a poem called Another Look in his school’s literary magazine. After graduating high school, he worked as a pizza driver before becoming a janitor; all the while working on his writings. At the moment, Daniel has been working on various short stories he plans to compile into a book and hopefully get published.

1. When and why did you begin writing?

I began to get really serious about writing when I was in 5th grade. My teacher said we would be required to write 15 pages per term to get an A. I didn’t think much of this at first, but as I started my first story, it just seemed so natural and simple to do (not to mention the fun it was to be able to create anything I wanted with the stroke of a pen.) I ended up writing 100 pages a term and never looked back from then on.

2. How personal is your writing?

I believe every writer uses their own personal experiences as influences for their writing, and I’m no different. In my story The Janitor, I apply certain aspects of my life to the story. For example, the main character is a janitor which is a job I’ve done for a good portion of my life. He also has to deal with a thief stealing toilet paper from his work place, another problem I faced on the job. One trend I like to follow is the ability to have the main characters from my stories to be easily replaced by myself.

3. When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I realized my full potential after taking creative writing for the first time in high school, a class I would take over another six times. It really developed my different interests in the variety of writings from short stories to film scripts, while helping me further improve my ability.

3. Do you do an outline before writing stories?

When I start a story I usually have a general idea of a part already planned out, either a good beginning, middle, or end, and have to come up with the rest off the top of my head. Sometimes I am with friends and ask them for an idea for a story and just completely write a story based on the topic on the spot.

4. Are your writing experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Most of my writings are original story ideas, but with characters based off myself and others I know. A recurring theme I use is having the main character with elements taken from myself, and having the people around him based on those I know. I feel this makes it much easier to develop the characters and make everything seem down to earth for my readers.

5. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

The honest truth is I don’t read all too much, it’s just not something that interests me. I would much rather write a story than read a story. But if I had to pick someone to call my writing mentor, it would definitely have to be my former creative writing teacher Mike Moran. He really helped make a better writer of me with all the different exercises and such we did in class. Plus, I would have no idea how to write film scripts (one of my favorite styles to write) if it weren’t for his classes.

6. Do you see writing as a career?

Writing could definitely be a career, but it just depends upon circumstances. I’m not too well known yet and don’t have anything published, but if I ever got to a point where I wrote something successful and developed a fan base, then yes. It’s definitely not a matter of if I have what it takes, because I could write for the rest of my life.

7 If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

Barack Obama. I’ve read a lot of news articles about how people’s freedoms are being violated and I would just like to ask him about it and what his takes on the situation are. I would also like to question him on various other things like the killing of Osama bin Laden and why his wife feels she needs to violate people’s right to choose by forcing healthy foods upon schools and taking toys from kids’ Happy Meals. It’d probably be a very intense dinner, but I feel a lot of the issues would need to be addressed.

8. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

My favorite author would definitely have to be J.K. Rowling. As I stated above, I’m not a big fan of reading but I loved the Harry Potter series and always looked forward for the next one to come out. I would stay up past my bedtime as a kid just to finish a chapter…… which would turn into three.

9. Can we find any of your written work online?

I posted a story on WWE-CLUB.COM entitled The Other Side under my forum name of BigD, as well as just recently posting another one title The Janitor. Other than that, my works can’t really be found much elsewhere just yet, but I do plan on posting more stories, and possibly a poem or two, up there in the writing section, so people can definitely keep an eye out there.

10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I write a variety of different types of stories, so if you’re not a fan of one story, that definitely doesn’t mean you shouldn’t check out a different one. I’ve written stories from an MMA fight to a guy tripping on ‘shrooms to a homeless guy getting the ultimate Christmas present. There’s something out there for everyone, you just need to find the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment