.Bill Moushey first came to my attention a few weeks ago when I saw an interview about his book, Game Over: Jerry Sandusky, Penn State, and the Culture of Silence. In addition to writing the book, I found that Bill Moushey has many other projects on hand as well.
For the past 28 years, Bill Moushey has authored award-winning investigative reports for television and print publications, documenting a wide range of abuses in the criminal justice system.
Moushey formed the Innocence Institute in 2001 to investigate cases of wrongful conviction in Western Pennsylvania and neighboring regions. He has helmed five investigations for the organization, which have helped result in each of the cases being reopened.
He has been an investigative reporter for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette since 1985. In 1997, Moushey was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and won the coveted National Press Club’s Freedom of Information Award for his ground-breaking expose of an out-of-control witness protection program. In 1998, Moushey’s Win at all Costs series about prosecutorial misconduct won local, national and regional awards.
He spent five years as an investigative reporter at WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh, an NBC affiliate, before coming to the paper.
Moushey is an associate professor of journalism at Point Park, teaching classes in investigative reporting, media law and other subjects. A native of Canton, Ohio, he earned his Bachelor of Arts in journalism from Kent State University. In 2004, he earned his Master of Science in criminal justice administration from Point Park.
- Professor, Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Point Park University, 2001-present
- Director, Innocence Institute of Point Park University, 2001-present
- Investigative Reporter, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (daily circulation 254,000, Sunday 455,000), 1985-present
- McGinnis Distinguished Lecturer, Point Park University, 2000
- Part-time Instructor, University of Pittsburgh Writing Program, 1987-2000
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh Writing Program, 1988
- Radio personality, WDVE-102.5-FM, Pittsburgh Morning Show, 1992-1994
- Investigative Reporter, WPXI-TV, Pittsburgh (NBC affiliate), 1979-1984
- Editor, Pittsburgh Magazine, a monthly regional magazine (circulation 30,000), 1978-1979
- Assistant Editor, Cleveland Magazine, a monthly regional magazine (circulation 60,000), 1977-1978
- Staff Writer, Photographer, Bureau Chief, Dover-New Philadelphia (Ohio) Times-Reporter (circulation 50,000), 1976-1977
- M.S., Criminal Justice Administration, Point Park University
- B.A., Journalism, (minor in telecommunications), Kent State University
Moushey has also attended and presented at numerous schools, conferences and conventions related to journalism, writing, crime and punishment, and other issues.
ON THE WEB:
Point Park University: Bill Moushey
Innocence Institute: www.innocenceinstitute.org
.Huffington Post: Bill Moushey
Amazon: Books by Bill Moushey
LinkedIn: Bill Moushey